Around 35 million people visit Thailand every year with the desire to explore the verdant jungles, towering temples and aquamarine water surrounding its paradisiac islands. However, depending on your nationality and the amount of time for which you wish to visit, you may require a visa in order to travel to Thailand.
Eligible citizens can get the Thailand visa on arrival either from queuing at the border or to save time and hassle, via the online Thailand eVisa on arrival application. As the Government of Thailand is waiving the 2,000 Baht visa on arrival additional payment for online applications until the 30th of April 2019, applicants will be able to save money until this date. Citizens not eligible for the Thai eVisa on arrival will soon be able to apply for the tourist visa for Thailand online once the system is implemented in the coming months.
Differences between the Thailand visa on arrival and the Thai eVisa
While both visas mean you can travel Thailand with a tourist visa, they have different requirements, application process and terms. Consult different types of visas for Thailand here.
Thailand visa on arrival
Not all nationalities require a visa on arrival to enter Thailand. Citizens of 18 different countries are eligible for the 15-day visa on arrival for Thailand:
Applicants must comply with the requirements for visa application upon arrival in Thailand:
- Passport holders of the eligible countries should have a valid passport which should be valid for a duration of at least 30 days upon arrival.
- The visa will only be approved if it is for touristic purposes and all applicants should have evidence of a return journey within 15 days of entry. Please note: only flights are accepted and failure to show an exit ticket could result in the refusal of your Thai tourist visa.
- A Thai address should be registered for your stay (e.g. hotel address).
- Applicants must prove that they have funds of 10,000 THB per person and 20,000 THB per family for your visit in Thailand.
- The visa fee is 2,000 THB, only payable in Thai THB.
Requesting a Thai eVisa is much more simple than the visa on arrival. The Thailand visa online will come into effect for citizens of France, China, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates by the end of 2018.
In 2019, more applicants from other countries will be able to apply for a Thai tourist visa much more quickly and efficiently using an online visa application form for Thai visa.
The Thai eVisa application will consist of a simple application form in which applicants fill out:
- Personal details
- Passport details
- Trip details
An email address is required for the purpose of sending and receiving your visa, as well as a valid form of visa payment (valid debit or credit card).
Documents needed for a Thailand visa upon arrival
Travelers arriving in Thailand should ensure that they travel with the correct documents in order to receive an approved tourist visa at the Thai border. Necessary documents for the Thai tourist visa on arrival are:
- Valid passport from a country eligible for Thai visa application (with at least 30 days of validity)
- 2,000 THB for the visa fee (payable in cash in Thai currency)
- Proof of a return flight within 15 days of your stay
Documents needed for a Thailand online visa
Applicants applying for a Thai eVisa will be required to provide the following documentation:
- Valid passport pertaining to a nationality eligible for visa application
- Personal details to be given in the application form
- A valid credit/debit card which is valid for the visa payment fee
- Information of your stay in Thailand e.g. travel dates
- Contact number and email address
Note: Ensure all details are correct as failure to provide accurate details could cause the rejection of your travel visa.
Find out more about the requirements for online visa application for Thailand.
What type of visa do I need?
At present, applicants can request a visa on arrival at the Thai border or a Thailand eVisa through the online application before traveling, saving time, money and hassle. Travelers should check whether they require a visa in order to enter Thailand.
Many nationalities can visit Thailand visa-free, yet need to apply for a visa depending on the amount of time they wish to spend in Thailand.
At present, various South American countries can travel to Thailand for up to 90 days visa-free and many European countries for 30 days. US and Canada passport holders can also visit Thailand for up to 30 days without requesting a visa.
Get the Thailand eVisa
The Thailand eVisa is a simple matter of completing an application form online and receiving your approved visa via email. Applying for the Thailand online visa saves time at border control upon arrival and guarantees your visa approval prior to arrival.