Phuket is certainly among Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations thanks to its fine white sandy beaches and stunning mountains, first-class cruise tour opportunities, and buzzing nightlife. The city of Phuket is also one of the oldest in Thailand and presents unique Sino-Portuguese architecture for visitors to admire.
5.3 million holidaymakers reach Phuket every year to explore its beauties. Most of those who come from abroad need a Thai visa to do so.
In this article, readers will learn about the requirements to visit Phuket from abroad, including:
- Visa requirements for Phuket
- Who needs a visa to travel
- How to reach Phuket
- What to do and see in Phuket on a Thai visa
Do I Need a Visa to Visit Phuket?
Travelers from most countries around the world need a visa to enter Phuket and the rest of Thailand.
It is possible for a limited number of nationalities to explore Phuket visa-free for short periods of time. All foreign passport holders should check whether they require a visa prior to making travel arrangements.
The type of visa required for Phuket will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- The amount of time the traveler intends to spend in Phuket and the rest of Thailand
- Their nationality
- The purpose(s) of their trip
Thailand online visa application for Phuket
Most visitors come to Phuket for their holidays, meaning that they will remain in Thailand for relatively short periods of time and for tourism purposes.
If they come from an eligible country, these travelers can easily apply for a visa online for Phuket and Thailand.
This electronic visa application (also known as eVisa or eVOA) can be completed in minutes from the comfort of one’s home or office. This means no embassy appointments, no paperwork, no long queues at the airport.
Is Phuket visa-free for Indian nationals?
No, Indian nationals are required to get a visa prior to entering Thailand, including if arriving in Phuket.
However, Indians are eligible for the electronic visa application for Thailand meaning that it will only take them minutes to request their visa for Phuket. Indian passport holders just need to supply their personal and passport information through an online form and upload a copy of their valid travel document.
The online visa application for Phuket and Thailand is flexible: it can be completed weeks or just days prior to departure.
Thailand Visa Requirements for Phuket
Before being allowed to enter Thailand, visitors must obtain a relevant visa or proof of visa-free travel eligibility.
The visa requirements for Phuket vary according to the type of visa the applicant is requesting. For example, in order to obtain a work visa, petitioners usually need to submit a work contract.
The online eVisa for Thailand is one of the easiest and fastest ways to obtain a permit for Phuket. The eVisa requirements include:
- An eligible, valid passport
- An active email address to receive the approved visa
- A recent passport-sized photograph
- The payment of the visa application fee via credit or debit card
Thai visa application for Phuket
Once the traveler has ensured that they can meet the above requirements, they can proceed to complete the application. Here is how to do it:
- 1. Fill out the application form in all of its parts with accurate and complete information
- 2. Upload digital copies of the relevant supporting documents (if applicable)
- 3. Pay the application fee by card through the secure online payment system
Petitioners will receive their visa via email in a few working days.
Traveling to Phuket with a Thai Visa
Once they have secured a ticket to Phuket and received their approved Thai visa, holidaymakers can leave for Thailand.
It is extremely easy to travel to Phuket with an electronic visa since Phuket International Airport is one of the Thai airports eligible for eVisa entry, which include:
- Phuket International Airport (HKT)
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)
- Bangkok Don Mueang International Airport (DMK)
- Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX)
Online visa passport holders can simply show their passport together with the approved eVisa to the Thai immigration authorities at the airport upon arrival. Please note that it is crucial that eVisa passport holders use the same passport to travel to Phuket as the one they provided during the application process.
Visitors can then spend up to 15 days exploring Phuket and the rest of Thailand before their electronic visa expires.
What to see and do in Phuket with a Thai eVisa
There is much to discover in Phuket. Here are some of Phuket’s main attractions and tourist activities:
- Seeing the Phuket Big Buddha
- Exploring the over 30 islands in the area by boat
- Taking stunning pictures at Karon View Point
- Visiting the Grand Pagoda in Wat Chalong
- Shopping at the Phuket Town weekend night market
- Enjoying a night out on Bangla Road