Read everything you need to know about the Thailand visa on arrival, including the Thai visa requirements, necessary documentation and validity of the travel visa.
What is a Thailand Visa on Arrival?
Travelers who wish to visit Thailand for up to two weeks can do so using the Thailand visa on arrival which permits travelers to stay for up to 15 days in Thailand. There are certain requirements for the Thailand visa on arrival, as well as a list of countries that are eligible for the Thai visa on arrival application.
The visa on arrival for Thailand can be requested and approved in one day, upon arriving in Thailand.
Thailand Visa on Arrival Countries
There are 21 countries at present that are able to enter Thailand and request a Thai visa on arrival.
The countries eligible for the Thai visa on arrival are:
- Papua new Guinea
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
Thai Visa on Arrival Requirements
Travelers should ensure that they meet all the requirements before traveling to Thailand and requesting a Thai visa on arrival.
- Travelers must be of an eligible nationality for visa on arrival application,
- Passports must be official and also valid for at least 30 days upon entering Thailand,
- The visa must be for tourism purposes only,
- Arrival cards, which should be handed out on the plane to Thailand, need to be filled out ready for presentation at the border,
- It is recommendable to carry a spare passport-sized photo on your person
The visa applicant needs to be able to give an address of where they are staying in Thailand (e.g. hotel address),
- Travelers must have a return ticket that proves that they are leaving the country before the Thai visa on arrival expires (please note: this must be by air travel),
- Each traveler applying for a Thailand visa on arrival must has sufficient funds of at least 10,000 THB or 20,000 THB per family,
- The Thai visa on arrival fee is approximately 2,000 THB and can change without notice. The visa fee should be paid in cash in Thai currency only.
Failure to meet the above Thai visa requirements could result in the rejection of your entry to Thailand.
How to get a Visa on Arrival for Thailand?
Getting your Thai tourist visa on arrival is as simple as making sure you comply with the above requirements, completing your arrival card on the plane to Thailand and presenting it along with the necessary documentation at the Thai border.
Thai Visa on Arrival Documents Required
Travelers should ensure that they have the following documentation on their person upon entering Thailand:
- A valid passport with at least 30 more days of validity,
- Completed arrival card (issued on plane to Thailand),
- Proof of a return ticket before the expiration of the Thai visa
- Passport-sized photo,
Thailand Tourist Visa upon Arrival Validity
The Thai visa on arrival permits travelers to stay in Thailand (strictly for tourism purposes) for a period of up to 15 days.
This period includes the arrival and departure date. You must be able to present a return flight ticket for your return journey which proves that you will be departing Thailand within the 15 day period.
Thailand’s Immigration Checkpoints which Provide Facilities for Visa Issue on Arrival
The following locations can issue a Thai visa on arrival:
- Aranyaprathet Immigration Checkpoint, Sakaeo
- Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
- Ban Prakob Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Betong Immigration Checkpoint, Yala
- Bueng Kan Immigration Checkpoint, Bueng Kan
- Bukit Tal Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Chiangmai International Airport, Chiangmai
- Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Don Muang International Airport, Bangkok
- Hatyai International Airport, Songkhla
- Kanchanaburi Land Border Checkpoint, Kanchanaburi
- Khlong Yai Immigration Checkpoint, Trat
- Khuan Don Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Krabi Immigration Checkpoint, Krabi
- Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint, Rayong
- Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Mukdahan Immigration Checkpoint, Mukdahan
- Nakhon Phanom Immigration Checkpoint, Nakhon Phanom
- Nan Immigration Checkpoint, Nan
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Padang Besar Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Phibun Mangsahan Immigration Checkpoint, Ubon Ratchathani
- Phuket Immigration Checkpoint, Phuket
- Phuket International Airport, Phuket
- Phusing Land Border Checkpoint, Sisaket
- Pong Nam Ron Immigration Checkpoint, Chanthaburi
- Prachup Khiri Khan Checkpoint at Hua Hin Airport, Prachup Khiri Khan
- Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
- Sattahip Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Satun Checkpoint at Koh Lipe Marine Port, Satun
- Satun Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Samui Airport, Surat Thani
- Samut Prakan Checkpoint, Samut Prakan
- Songkhla Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Su-ngai Kolok Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
- Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
- Suvarnabhumi Airport
- Tak Bai Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Tak Immigration Checkpoint, Tak
- Tha Li Immigration Checkpoint, Loei
- Trang Airport, Trang
- U Tapao Airport, Rayong